What will you do after the support for Windows 10 end?

Anything goes. If there's no forum for your topic, you can post it here and give it the appropriate tag.
Gravi

What will you do after the support for Windows 10 end?

We all know that the all mighty Bill Gates and his near-perfect business Microsoft is going to end it's one of the "better" products - Windows 10. Grieve all you want, but they already made 11 and will not give two damns about what you think, because you think wrong!

The big question is..... what will YOU do about it? Will you "upgrade" to 11? Will you move to Linux? Or will you move to the jungle to live amongst your ancestors, the monkeys?

The choice is all yours! Write about it!

Re: What will you do after the support for Windows 10 end?

I will move to the jungle and use Windows XP from there. No internet connection means I'm safe from WaReZ.
WoodyWoodPecker

RUFUS is able to take a Windows 11 ISO and remove the hardware-checking crap from it. So I am installing Windows 11 until WINE can run Visual Studio 2022 and Office 2021.
Horrux

I am going to use only some flavor of Linux. I've a tiny bit of experience on Mint / Cinnamon, so I may use that but if the System76 teams can disable AMD's equivalent to Intel's Management Engine, which is the backdoor for government into our computers, then I'll use their build.

I have a high powered AMD system, and I don't foresee changing my system any time soon, so my hardware will likely remain as it is, mostly.
LS2
Site Admin

Horrux wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:36 pm I am going to use only some flavor of Linux. I've a tiny bit of experience on Mint / Cinnamon, so I may use that but if the System76 teams can disable AMD's equivalent to Intel's Management Engine, which is the backdoor for government into our computers, then I'll use their build.

I have a high powered AMD system, and I don't foresee changing my system any time soon, so my hardware will likely remain as it is, mostly.
I wouldn't count on PSP being neutralized any time soon. But check your BIOS, there may be an option to disable it there. There's no guarantee that it actually disables it, just their promise, but that's better than nothing. I don't think you have to worry about it in practice.
ceck

WoodyWoodPecker wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:22 pm RUFUS is able to take a Windows 11 ISO and remove the hardware-checking crap from it. So I am installing Windows 11 until WINE can run Visual Studio 2022 and Office 2021.
This is interesting. Is there a website where I could learn newbie stuff about RUFUS? I had never heard of it before you mentioned it.
screwdriver

I am moving to Linux and keep Windows 10 running in a VM for legacy purposes.
IHateBritishPeople

Laugh from a distance (as a Linux user).
Surefire

My company still uses XP and Windows Server 2009. I assume we'll keep musing it.
ceck

Currently I have a decent workstation that can run Linux but it has Win 10 on it because I am lazy and I play Windows games sometimes. What I *should* do is install Linux and use QEMU/KVM to make virtual machines on it so that I can boot Windows whenever I like. But I don't know how to pirate Windows properly. I can only hope that when Win 10 goes out of support, friendly pirates will post tutorials about how to pirate Windows 10 -- then I can install Win 10 on various virtual machines.

I had a real skill issue the other day. I had been ignoring Hogwarts Legacy after the first 20 hours but I was planning to get back to it. I updated my video card driver to try to fix other problems. Then I restarted Hogwarts Legacy and it choked on the new video driver. This is the kind of problem that numerous virtual machines could fix. I could have a virtual machine for each fussy little game with its fussy little driver requirements.
WoodyWoodPecker

I got Ubuntu on a laptop, and Windows 10 Pro on my PC. I will have to build a new PC to get Windows 11 Pro, I have to as Visual Studio Community edition and Office don't work with WINE.

You can get Visual Studio in linux working just fine. Also OnlyOffice is a 0.99:1 clone of Microsoft Word.

Also who "needs" visual studio. Learn Vim, Tmux, and command line. And maybe a little bit of make magic if your builds involve ridiculously long line that are project specific.
Zom

Eventually I will probably be forced into moving to a Linux based OS as standard, but having avoided it for one reason or another, or just laziness, it may need a slight learning curve to get used to it.
LS2
Site Admin

Zom wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:58 am Eventually I will probably be forced into moving to a Linux based OS as standard, but having avoided it for one reason or another, or just laziness, it may need a slight learning curve to get used to it.
Ubuntu and Linux Mint are very user friendly. Sooner or later you'll probably have to learn how to use the command line and edit configuration files, but there's a GUI for most things and you can just start using it without special knowledge.
Zom

I guess like everything, it becomes second nature. The biggest hurdle in the past was compatibility with common apps and games, but Steam seams to have done a good job of making a large volume of their products available for Linux now. Perhaps I'll give it a go on my next pc build.

One of the less interesting things I've found myself drawn to is Microsoft Office, simply due to having had so many issues with being unable to create documents that would open correctly using suites such as Libre office or OpenOffice, I ended up buying MS Office as a standalone and reluctantly continue using it out of convenience. But like all software, it will age and become redundant soon enough.
LS2
Site Admin

That's a fair point. I've only used OpenOffice / LibreOffice a little but never liked it. Note that there's also wine, which lets you run Windows programs anyway. It has pretty good compatibility.
WoodyWoodPecker

ceck wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:06 pm This is interesting. Is there a website where I could learn newbie stuff about RUFUS? I had never heard of it before you mentioned it.
https://rufus.ie/en/ is the website. Rufus takes an ISO file and writes it to a USB drive. Since modern systems don't come with CD or DVD drives anymore, you download the Windows 11 ISO and use Rufus to strip out the hardware and TPM checks and then make a bootable USB for it.
CrystalVulpine

Windows 10 is NOT one of the "better" products. It was the worst Windows I had seen, until I met Windows 11.

Windows is becoming more and more like Mac, which naturally as an Apple product is even worse. I used Windows XP, 7, 8, and 8.1, and I liked all of them, but I could not put up with Windows 10. I'm always using a Linux distro now. The worst part is how much effort they're putting into making sure you can't install an older OS anymore. When Windows 10 came out they colluded with all the major CPU and motherboard vendors to eliminate CSM, ensuring that only the computer can only run whatever the most recent verison of Windows was at the time it was manufactured. Apparently all major manufacturers are now also trying to cripple Linux and everything but Windows and Mac. It's astonishing how draconian technology is becoming.