Do you have experience with BSD?

LS2
Site Admin

Do you have experience with BSD?

I installed NomadBSD on a USB stick, although my experience with it isn't good, it's very slow. I read that it could be because I have FDA enabled, but I doubt that's the cause because even programs that are in RAM are unresponsive (so the overhead isn't from reading the drive). I disabled the compositor as well, which causes problems for some. I will look into it a bit more, but I'll have to give up on this system if I can't fix it, it's too annoying.

That being said, I do like FreeBSD in general, on which NomadBSD is based. It gives me a familiar Unix experience with a decent amount of available packages, and I can have a Debian jail under which I can install things that aren't available via `pkg`. I like how the base system is carefully curated and separated from the rest so that I basically don't have to touch it. It lets me enjoy a stable system. It's a breath of fresh air for me. I really needed a break from GNU/Linux because I've had so much trouble with it down to the level of the bootloader failing after an update. That can often be fixed without too much effort, but something as fundamental as an OS shouldn't become inaccessible in the first place. FreeBSD even uses a different bootloader so it's a bigger measure than simply switching to a different GNU/Linux distro and hoping you won't run into the same issues.

So even though running BSD from a USB stick isn't quite it for me (unless I can get the performance issue fixed), I most certainly want to try installing FreeBSD (or another derivative) to an SSD.

One thing that surprised me is that you don't have access to the same variety of filesystems I was used to from GNU/Linux. It's basically either UFS or ZFS. I suppose that latter works as a relatively universal fs, since there's support on BSD, GNU/Linux, macOS and Windows.

Have you used any BSDs?

Tags: