Status updates

Anything related to this website.
LS2
Site Admin

Status updates

ITT I provide status updates. Rabbit Hole is an older project which I was already planning to pick up on. Then during the Reddit protests, it dawned on me how big they were, so I rushed to make this forum available again. But there's a lot that needs to be done. The upcoming days will be spent polishing the forum by adding boards and installing plugins that bridge the gap with a Reddit-like experience. Most significantly multimedia embeds. Also, I'm looking for people who will keep the community engaged by posting regularly -- this is where you can already help. If you find there isn't much going on here, understand that this is being worked on and do check back. And if you want to be involved in community building, feel free to PM me.
LS2
Site Admin

Re: Status updates

It's time for a progress report. I'm making the forum presentable so that it's ready to be promoted. This is what I've done:
  • Created a few initial forums.
  • Changed the index page so that it shows recent threads at the top, and a forum list at the bottom.
  • Implemented a "create new topic" dropdown list at the top of every page.
  • Installed extensions for topic tags and media embedding.
  • Installed the Prosilver Special Edition theme.
  • I've involved a few people in the project, although more hands are still welcome.
Rabbit Hole is now ready to be posted to. The next steps are to:
  • Tweak the spam countermeasures a bit so that people can post behind a VPN.
  • Write an "About Rabbit Hole" article.
  • Create a thread dedicated to board requests.
  • Advertise the forum more actively.
Surefire

Since I have you on the phone; I got an error that said external links are not permitted. What's the point in banning external links? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ on it Only allowing internal links seems somewhat pointless to me. I admit that I have never run a server or message board before, so it's very possible that I am just completely ignorant on the subject.
LS2
Site Admin

Surefire wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:41 pm Since I have you on the phone; I got an error that said external links are not permitted. What's the point in banning external links? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ on it Only allowing internal links seems somewhat pointless to me. I admit that I have never run a server or message board before, so it's very possible that I am just completely ignorant on the subject.
The problem is spam, there need to be some measures against it and this seemed the least intrusive. It's only for new members. You can post links after you make a few genuine posts.