I accidentally my entire hard drive

Anything goes. If there's no forum for your topic, you can post it here and give it the appropriate tag.

I accidentally my entire hard drive

I was transferring local files to a webserver using Filezilla and accidentally pressed delete, so it asks for a confirmation. Here's the thing, in the same motion I hit enter, which the keyboard designer placed conveniently next to 'delete'. And since Filezilla focuses 'Yes' automatically, it went ahead and deleted all the files in my home directory. Everything. I forcefully quit the program as quickly as I could but it was already too late. On top of that, Filezilla removes the files entirely instead of putting them in the trash bin.

It's 2023 and computers are still inferior to paper in some aspects. With paper, I have to go through the motion of throwing my notebooks fireplace. With a PC, one slip with your hand and it's the equivalent of not just burning your notebooks, but also your books, your photoalbums, everything. Who the hell designed these systems? Why are we sticking to such archaic design?

Since this is macOS with APFS, I could only find commercial file recovery software. Most charge $80, which is total bollocks. Some charge a monthly fee, and others charge hundreds of dollars. There is no FOSS that does the job. Eventually I found one that charges $20 for a one year license, which is reasonable, but it still costed me a lot of time finding it. Time = money so that was the hidden cost. All in all, this is complete bullshit.
Horrux

Re: I accidentally my entire hard drive

That's not good. Yikes. I feel bad for you.

Kinda reminds me of when I erased my games partition on my boot SSD which had two partitions. I went like, hey I'll just redownload them. I was also streaming 7 days to die, I had made it to day 180 on a PERMADEATH run, and didn't know that THAT particular game saves the world along with the game files, right in the folder where it's installed. Every OTHER game saves everything either in /Documents/ or /user/. Sigh. That took the wind out of me, something serious.

You will recover. But it will be a PITA.

Update

I ran one file rescue program but it just retrieved the directory structure and almost none of the actual files. Then I paid more for a better one, which at least recovered some of the files. Luckily, I had part of my documents in a mounted encrypted container, and that was still in the memory when this happened, so I could just copy those over to my HDD. It's kind of shit to lose your files so suddenly but whatever, it's not the end of the world. In the upcoming days I will post the memes that I was able to recover.
Horrux

Re: Update

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:44 pm I ran one file rescue program but it just retrieved the directory structure and almost none of the actual files. Then I paid more for a better one, which at least recovered some of the files. Luckily, I had part of my documents in a mounted encrypted container, and that was still in the memory when this happened, so I could just copy those over to my HDD. It's kind of shit to lose your files so suddenly but whatever, it's not the end of the world. In the upcoming days I will post the memes that I was able to recover.
You gonna keep posting as Guest for long though? ;)
WoodyWoodPecker

Re: I accidentally my entire hard drive

sudo rm -rf /

THIS WILL ERASE YOUR WHOLE HARD DRIVE ARE YOU SURE? Y/N? Yes

SUCKER! KERNEL PANIC! CAN'T FIND THE KERNEL.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:02 pm.